SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006

SlimChestnut is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 26 for shaol water

I own property on a canal that has Winter low tides as low as 1 foot. After much research the Mac 26 is one of the very few boats of any size that works year round. I also like to explore and to occasionaly beach the boat.

Yes the Mac has its shortcomings but it really has immense advantages in some areas. As an engineer I do not find it too challenging to read and follow the instructions to use the water ballast properly!

I have seen many so-called self righting boats capsized even some of the most stable boats built. The sailing experience has much more to do with hours spent enjoying the b oat and water and a ship ran in a "skipperly" fashion rather than fancier brands and more money.

Beleive me, I know the Mac has no snob appeal and is less desirable to some sailors.

I find it amusing that many sailors speak ill of Macgregors and even more interesting when I find they have been out ran by one on a reach!. But I digress. I am a not a "yacht club" sailor and certainly do not have deep pockets. Nothing against Yachting or being in a club but I like to sail and to motor and to fish. My boat is shipshape but NOT spotless and like new. I do not worship at the alter of spotless perfection.

A nice used Mac works well for me and no one could touch the price or all the many extras that already were installed. I also like the fact that I am not helpless to run before a storm if conditions permit rather than battening down and puttering along and waiting for it to hit.

I would love to find a Westerly or some nicer shoal water boat but until I do and can afford it the Mac is an excellent choice.

Credit where credit is due. There are over 6000 Macs. Is that so bothersome? To a purist perhaps.

Slim

Last edited by SlimChestnut; 11-20-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook