SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home schooling for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

Update:

Well, we have been doing the Florida Virtual now for several weeks. It is certainly too early to pass judgement, but here are some inital thoughts:

First, it ties you into a fast connection on the interenet pretty heavily. They watch periodic movies and do a lot of downloads. Also, printing things off is necessary. That could be a concern for some cruisers. We are using an ATT WIfi (4g LTE) here which works fine, but we will go over the 5 gig alloted it seems. We planned on it, but just fyi.

We installed a WIFI Extender (Bullet m2HP) which does work - if you have an extended wifi connection that is open. THat is hit and miss.

Second, the transition into it was WAY smoother than we thought. The kids caught on quickly. WIth a decent internet speed (see above) it is very manageable.

Third, the material is good. It has captured their attention for the most part. THat is not always easy given the subject matter and setting.

Fourth, it has required a bit more interaction that we anticipated. Our oldest (12) can more or less run his own day, but we need help out on many things. THe youngest requires a lot more planning that often starts early in the morning before they get up. Remember, this is even though their work is dictated (daily) by the school district.

Fifth, you have to be mailed information - so a address where you can receive things is neccessary.

Lastly, you will be required to provide proof of residency to make this work. I got a FL DL with the marina address and also provided the slip contract. Plan ahead on how you will work out the residency if you choose this option.

General thoughts at this point is that although we like it, it may be difficult to maintain this long trem for cruising. We are (according to the principal) the only homeschoolers that live on a boat. It even took special permission from him to make this work. Technology has improved such that this 'can' work for cruisers, but with stipulations. We may end up having to shift to Calverts or something similar because of the technilogical difficulties.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook