Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seacoast NH/ME
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List
So we pulled the trigger and it's all working out (rather smoothly, which has us worried) that we'll be sailing our new (to us) liveaboard cruiser, a 1978 43' Gulfstar Mark II down to our marina this weekend! Over the next 3 weeks we'll be moving aboard and doing the purge of all of our land life possessions. We've already gotten rid of all the furniture and anything that for sure isn't going aboard but we haven't yet dealt with our kitchen. So I thought I'd get some advice from seasoned liveaboards...
- What are the must-haves in the galley?
- What did you move aboard that you ended up never needing/using?
- If you had a wish list for your galley what would it be?
- Do you really need to only use plastic plates, cups, etc?
- Any refits to your storage/cabinetry that you did that was a gamechanger?
- Moisture issues for cooking ingredients?
I really like to cook and can be pretty ambitious at times which I don't expect will stop once aboard, just change. I want to be sure we have what we need to cook up good, nutritious and hearty food to get through our first winter aboard in New Hampshire!
Any tips, lists, thoughts would be very appreciated!