SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beach Cats in Rehab!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks fellas!

Look, at the end of the day this stuff is really not that hard...at least if you don't expect absolutely pro-perfect results. It seems a lot more daunting than it really is.

I'd never laid up fiberglass, I'd never repaired gelcoat cracks, I'd never painted a boat, I'd never done any of this stuff. And if I can do it, believe me, you can.

The other question is how my work will hold up. We'll see. But it ain't too bad for a newb.

I'll finish up the rudders/tiller this weekend and will then be ready to launch her. I'll put the pics of that (along with the inevitable BFS that will occcur) and the final tally of hours and dollars spent in the next week or so.
I am sure it will last just fine. As long as surface prep is good (remove oil,wax, dust, sand) which I am sure you did, should be good to go. I would leave her in the hot sun for a while to harden up the paint- a week or two if you can stand not sailing her. These petroleum based paints always take longer to harden than what the directions say. If you can let the paint get good and hard will last a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook