SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beach Cats in Rehab!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks for the tip, case. I'll leave it for another week (although we're dying to get out on the water).

I did notice that the spray-paint on the mast took FOREVER to really harden up.

Have you (or anyone else) "touched up" the Brightside paint? I've noticed that in areas where I tried to go back over something, it left a rough texture around the new paint. Can I polish that out?
Interesting. With the Easypoxy in called for priming (I used two coats of the Petit primer) then Petit called for two coats of the Easypoxy top coat. I was working in the hot hawaiian sun (probably should have put up a tarp but did not have one immediately available). I brushed on one top coat and it went on kind of heavy as the paint was evaporating very fast (had a nice breeze blowing with the sun). It actually was drying two fast making the paint go on really heavy. So I never put a second coat as I was afraid of getting what it appears you got. I am going to let the paint cure for 6 months then light sand and apply 2nd coat.

I think you should let the paint harden for 6 monts then sand out rough area, then apply second coat. I think what is happening is the second coats' solvents are reacting with the solvents (that have yet to evaporate) of the first coat and softening the paint. Unless you use a paint stripper (which is messy), sanding will just make more of a mess (paint to soft). Best to let is get good and hard then sand out imperfections- much easier to deal with.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook