SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beach Cats in Rehab!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Interesting. With the Easypoxy in called for priming (I used two coats of the Petit primer) then Petit called for two coats of the Easypoxy top coat. I was working in the hot hawaiian sun (probably should have put up a tarp but did not have one immediately available). I brushed on one top coat and it went on kind of heavy as the paint was evaporating very fast (had a nice breeze blowing with the sun). It actually was drying two fast making the paint go on really heavy. So I never put a second coat as I was afraid of getting what it appears you got. I am going to let the paint cure for 6 months then light sand and apply 2nd coat.

I think you should let the paint harden for 6 monts then sand out rough area, then apply second coat. I think what is happening is the second coats' solvents are reacting with the solvents (that have yet to evaporate) of the first coat and softening the paint. Unless you use a paint stripper (which is messy), sanding will just make more of a mess (paint to soft). Best to let is get good and hard then sand out imperfections- much easier to deal with.
Cool. Thanks dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook