SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beach Cats in Rehab!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you're challenged by brightside, thank neptune you didn't try gelcoat. now do you understand why amateurs paint?
Like I told sloop above - I'm still not sold on that argument. I went with paint in the end because my main objective is to do everything on this thing as cheaply as possible. It sounded like the paint was going to be quite a bit cheaper due to its supposed "better coverage"...but it ended up being $65 more than the gelcoat would have been (assuming 1 gallon would have covered the hulls). And that's because I found a crazy good deal on the paint. At retail it would have been almost double the price of the gelcoat. So that economic math didn't work so well. The paint was way more expensive. But I was already committed.

As I said, I don't think I could have gotten as nice a finish rolling the gelcoat as the paint gave me. So I'm happy about that.

But now it comes down to longevity and maintenance. If I ended up paying more and then have to do it all again in 3 years - it was a mistake in my book. I guess time will tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-05-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook