SailNet Community - View Single Post - We did it! We took our 3 week old sailing today!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
We did it! We took our 3 week old sailing today!

We've barely been able to get out of the house for the three weeks since little Medsailor was born. Today though we had a favorable slack current at our slip to come and go for a 4 hour sail so we decided it would be a good test of what it's like to take the little guy out before we actually do an overnight or longer trip.

Here's what we learned:

1: For starters, we really aren't day sailors. I felt totally lost without a destination to head for. "which way? How about that way and then back again?"

2: The boat should be set up to singlehand as much as possible. You never know when a screaming baby will require the attention of one of us, leaving the boat to the other. This is the single biggest thing we learned I think.

3: Little guy may not be a budding sailor after all but rather a budding powerboater! He is soothed by the sound of our noisy perkins engine...

4: The car seat is the place to be for the little guy.

Any tips from you infant sailing veterans?

One questions I had: aren't boaters below a certain age required to wear a life jacket at all times? The infant lifejacket with it's HUGE head float/collar would not be compatible with being in a car seat, or breast feeding. The coast guard did buzz us but didn't board us. I wonder how it would have went if he was in his car seat which was strapped to the settee but not wearing his lifejacket??

MedSailor