SailNet Community - View Single Post - We did it! We took our 3 week old sailing today!
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: We did it! We took our 3 week old sailing today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
oh man, i'm so taking tips from this thread. have not been able to convince the wife to take our baby girl (2 months old now) on a trip yet.
Feel free to use us as an example. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's an example of "what to do" or "what NOT to do."

We derived a lot of inspiration from this blog:
Sail Far Live Free: Cruising with Kids: Don't Leave the Dock Without Them!

And from the awesome "Bumfuzzles" blog. If you start when they have their first kid, you can see the evolution from new parents to "new parents" that want to get back out on the water. My wife is reading their blog now and loving it, not just for the boating stuff but for the really good and honest commentary about being a new parent:
bumfuzzle | dec 2009

We're planning a 2 day trip coming up at the end of the month. (Sacrifices to the weather gods are in process now). My mother-in-law thinks all this is child-abuse but she's from a land locked state. When I asked her what she was worried about her answer was:
"What if something happens??!!"
"Like what?"
"What if the wind comes up?"
"Then we'll turn off the motor and put up the sails."

Setting up the boat to be as close to totally single-handable is what seems to be the key. That and sailing as if you ARE single handing. I found myself wanting jacklines and was hesitant to lean over the side to pee. Falling in is bad enough with only 2 aboard. It seems like it would be worse if my wife is down below when I go over and also has to deal with the little screamer.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook