SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River Marina questions
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware River Marina questions

The Delaware River at Philadelphia and below rarely has a really hard freeze, but does get large chunks of ice washing back and forth with the tide. Large pieces of debris are more common in the spring with snow melt in the Lehigh Valley and the Catskills and heavy rain in the watershed.

The wake protection at Piers and Phila Marine Center also protect those marinas from ice chunks and debris.

Essington is protected from most chunk ice by Little Tinicum Island, but does get debris. Fox Grove is exposed down river to Commodore Barry and does get debris washed back with the tide. Floating dock A gets the most and C the least.

Anchorage gets debris in its up river floating docks, but dock A (fuel dock) and dock B are well protected from debris driven by both flood and ebb tides. Most in water over winter boats at Anchorage relocated to docks A, B & C. I spent one winter at C without problems, but would be reluctant to stay in the water at Fox Grove.

I have sailed on the river as late as the 1st week of December and as early as the 1st week of March. It is usually to cold for me in January and February.