SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seaworthiness - Lloyd register rating?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seaworthiness - Lloyd register rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supern0va View Post
Ah, yes that is somethign along the lines of what I had in mind. Thanks.

However this is all data derived from ship dimensions that can be found online.
I suppose a CE rating is not only based on this but also on things like hull thickness, strength of the rigging, the way the chainplates are mounted and all sorts of other build quality related stuff that I don't know the proper English terms for
Is there really no database where you enter a boat model and it spits out a rating? It seems so logical that this info should be available...
If your in the market for a used boat you may want to forget the CE rating anyway. It started in Europe, it hasn't been used for all that long and even though some North American manufactures state their boats meet CE rating they are not certified anyway due to this being a European rating and the cost associated with getting them certified. You are correct that all hardware, portholes, LP gas fittings and so on are part of the rating but one upgrade or repair on a used boat renders this useless (if a less standard part is used) and our electrical and gas regulations are different then European regulations causing more complications. Good luck in your search and if you do find what your looking for ensure to post the link for the rest of us!
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook