SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Compression
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012

Thorp is on a distinguished road
Mast Compression

I have a 1964 Cal 28, hull 41.

The deck has deflected down somewhat as evidenced by a crack in a timber that rides along the upper edge of the main bulkhead, a gap that has opened up in the door, and a crack in the fiberglass liner.

The compression post and mast step look to be in good, solid condition. It is clear to me that the deck stepped mast has pushed down hard enough to deflect the inner liner.

I believe the boat has been like this for quite a while and I have been out sailing almost every weekend, without a problem. Though, I do not know if the deck is deflecting while I am sailing, hard on the wind. It is possible that the liner has settled in (read cracked/deformed) so that it is now better supported by the hull underneath and there is no deflection while sailing. It is also possible that it is.

In either case, I would like to sail blue water with this boat and need a good solution. It is odd to me that there is no beam under the liner. We hear about the 'dreaded steel beam'. This boat doesn't have one, but now I kinda wish it did.... I think I need to install some semblance of a beam to carry the load to the hull, or maybe the keel. Access is limited to the seat just adjacent to the compression post and from the galley. I do not want to cut the inner fiberglass liner to install a beam because in this boat, the inner fiberglass liner is the only thing supporting the compression post.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-03 14.30.53.jpg (50.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-03 14.31.13.jpg (42.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Inner Liner Crack.jpg (27.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2x4.jpg (31.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-05 11.26.22.jpg (28.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook