SailNet Community - View Single Post - Digital vs. Analog engine gauges
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Digital vs. Analog engine gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That's great. Apparently they've got two well-behaved LEDs in there then, pulling 35mA. Which would still 25 amps if left alone for one month.

Similar to a car stereo or alarm system or old clock, enough to impact a less-than-perfect battery, but small enough to ignore for a week or three in healthier system, like the 90AH they mention.
That's 35mA at full back light intensity, which (hopefully) would only be used while underway at night.
In any case, I went with the Microlog battery monitor mentioned in this interesting review. http://www.maxvu110.com/psbm.pdf. As the review says: A simple system for a simple boat (such as mine). It will give me Volts for each battery, and Amps from the alternator. Has low and high voltage alarms and I still have the factory Yanmar alarm (good for me, as I'm not one to watch gauges on a regular basis). Also made in Canada, not China (important to me). The one downside is that it needs to be mounted inside. However, I have limited cockpit mounting space anyway, so this wasn't a big drawback. I'll be able to see the Microlog from the cockpit anyway. The engine gauges will definitely go in the cockpit.
I found it interesting that the review stated proper installation of any of the systems would be unlikely by a weekend warrior. Microlog says it's a piece of cake. I'll find out!

Last edited by L124C; 09-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook