SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

Wherever this big swell comes into shallow water, you will have uncomfortable conditions, even close in between Block and MV. A swell can really heap up and get weird in BIS both because of the uneven bottom and the rotary current. Although none of the predicted paths has this storm moving closer to Block/NE Coast, it is too close for comfort. Hurricanes have a way of proving meteorologists wrong. Would be wiser to wait it out somewhere with more choices. Maybe run up LIS keeping a constant eye on this storm. If you run inside all the way to Watch Hill, in back of Fishers, it will keep you in range of plenty of bail-out spots. You could even get way up into Narragansett if you really had to (Potters Cove comes to mind). Just give Pt. Jude a wide berth if you go into Narragansett with a big swell running. I would not attempt any of the Islands with this storm out there.

Last edited by smurphny; 09-06-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook