SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
View Single Post
  #14  
Old 09-06-2012
chef2sail's Avatar
chef2sail chef2sail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,706
Thanks: 23
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

Quote:
But are 9' seas necessarily dangerous-Petercheck
Quote:
What does it mean that a cold front is passing through?- Peterchcek
If you are asking these questions you should not do this trip nor have the experience to deal with the conditions. This is not to disrespect your sailing ability, but I would suggest spending much more time in the LI Sound before venturing offshore getting building experience in dealing with similar conditions such as lee shores, fronts passing through, large wave action in an environment where you at least there you will have a place to bail out of the conditions. Once you beigin the trip on the outside of the south side of Long Island there is NOWHERE safe to pull in should the conditions deteriorate or should you experience equipemnt failure. One thing apparent from your posts is that you are beginning to develope your experience offshore. You should wait until conditions are better for you.

As far as Vineyard Sound and the Nantucket area. The Vineyard Sound has substantial current. when wind and swell oppose current the wave action cant slow a boats progress dramatically as well as make passage making very uincomfortable. Lastly experience wopuld warn you away fromn going ftrom deep water to shallow water with a large swell running. Thats exactly what you would be doing in Muskeget Channel with the surrounding ocean 100s of feet deep and areas with in the channel 20 feet deep. This will compress the swells and dramtically rtaise them possible creating breakin waves. Having traveled this route to Nantucket before this approach should be done in good and ideal conditions not with any type of storm offshopre generating large swell over a long fetch. Approaching Nantucket from the "backside" from MV is a more measured and safer approach in most conditions.

Knowing Brad ( Bene505), he sails from Montaulk in larger conditions than you usually do, with much more experience with a much larger and heavier boat/ If he wont go it will not make sense to argue or even question his decision.


Having just taking this trip in a 35 C&C MKIII two weeks ago coming down the Jersey Coast, we experienced 6 foot seas and 20-30 knot winds on the nose. The trip was tiring and not dangerous at all, but a bit exhausting and we have plenty of offshore experience as well as a heavier boat. We averaged 5 knots SOG on our tacks. Progress down the Jersey Coast however was slow. Where we had planned on averaging 60 miles per day we could only average 30. Even though you would be traveling more of a beam/ broad rfeach to the wave action, at 9 foot swell it will be mighty uncomfortable for you and your crew.

Dave
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook