SailNet Community - View Single Post - Furuno GPS 32 Comments?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: Furuno GPS 32 Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We have a GP-31 (predecessor to the 32) that came with our boat and by my estimation is at least 10-15 years old. It still works flawlessly and is an absolutely rock solid piece of equipment as far as I'm concerned. It is probably one of the few marine electronic devices that has been in production essentialy unaltered for so long. I love its extremely low power consumption and it's simple anchor alarm functionality. I was able to expand the capabilities of ours by connecting its NMEA output to a multiplexer that can feed a laptop or iPad. If it ever gives up, it will definitely be replaced with a 32.
I have three GP-31's, two in use and one in reserve. They are identically programmed with waypoints and routes, and have been absolutely rock solid for many years. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better bargain in a reliable GPS-only device.

I have installed the GP-32 for customers as well. It appears to be just as well made and reliable. But, for my purposes, I see no reason to "upgrade" now or ever. The GP-31 does what I need to have done, and is flawless in it's execution. So good that I can ignore the several awkward "defects", like limitations on waypoints and uploads which wipe over everything already programmed. Annoying, but easy to work around if you're careful.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook