Over Hill Sailing Club
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Thanked 111 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
Thanks for all the advice!
I'll def take the sound then. I'm really glad I convinced my father to get a 50% "storm" jib for the trip, looks like we may need it. If we leave sat morning we should get to block by sunday morning, with all the wind thats predicted. Once we clear montauk, is the stretch between the sound and block island somewhat protected at that point? I would like to get some experience in bigger seas, at least for a 30 mile fast reach, if it's not too dangerous. If not I can always overnight in the sound though...
Will the approach to great salt pond be safe, seems like it would be on the lee of the swells/wind...
I gotta tell you, I would not be be planning to make this passage with the current forecast. It does not sound like you have a good grasp of the area or the conditions that the area can produce. If there are 30 knots of onshore wind with a hurricane-induced swell running, you don't want to be out there.
Please read the top part about wave height. This is the offshore forecast but is closer to what will be happening in Block I Sound and vicinity.
Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Last edited by smurphny; 09-06-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Reason: added link