SailNet Community - View Single Post - Australia online cruising guide
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Australia online cruising guide

I've got a very readable book on the strait islands, not specifically maritime. The guy who wrote first took off on a small sloop put of Western Port . Was feeling pretty good until he looked up and asked what is all that white stuff. Skipper replied "Bass Strait". Author reported that he then threw up constantly for four days until they made land fall.

I've not sailed the Victorian coast but I've driven the Great Ocean Road. Despite the fact that there are some very pretty spots , there didn't seem to be a lot of places worth visiting by boat. Maybe I'm wrong but the dearth of written material seems to support the theory that there is not a lot of cruising going on other than very local stuff.

Am I wrong in thinking that ?

otoh .... Albany to Hobart is for grown ups not a great big wuss like me. Closest I've been was lowish level by plane and that was almost put the fear of god into me. Mate of mine did Sydney to Fremantle in a tug boat. I believe they were given something of a talking to by the Gulf. Tried to put a brave face on it but somehow I doubt he'd ever do it again.

As for bravery Hartley .... you made it through last year's HCW mate ... that shows a bit of spine ....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 09-09-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook