SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

It looks as if the hurricane is staying farther offshore than predicted. It is almost realistically out of the picture except for the outer winds and swell. Looking at the wfax maps, it looks as if it could really HONK about 48 hours out. That large Canadian high coming down and 30+ knots of wind in the outer bands of the hurricane could spell trouble. I would think they will likely create some very high winds in the trough between them. The south side of LIS could get pretty wild until it blows through. A place I have often anchored in a north wind is right up against the beach immediately to the west about 1/4 mile inside PJ harbor. There is lots of distance to the lee shore there in case you slip and the bar to block the wind. If the wind shifts south, you can just relocate close to the Poquott beach on the other side. You'll probably have company there but there is usually plenty of room. There is also a mooring field right behind you that you could grab in a pinch. The holding is excellent in dense sandy clay and mud. Conscience Bay and Setauket Harbor are also good choices but you really need local knowledge. They are jammed with boats on moorings.