SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

Let's say you wind up with breakers coming up the Atlantic in the 8' range. That's going to be "offshore experience" in a 32'er for sure. Not impossible, not dangerous, but a rough ride and everyone may want to give thought to serious seasickness meds well before heading out, because it will be a rough wet ride.

More importantly, there is NO bailout on the south shore of Long island. None of the inlets is safe under those conditions, so you've got over a hundred miles of lee shore to deal with, so you've got to be sure before you head out, that you want to do this.

Tt can be done and done safely, I'm just saying you'll be having a 'training mission' instead of a vacation. OTOH going up and out LIS instead will give you a much smoother trip, and you'll still have "weather" experience once you get out to the east end and beyond.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook