SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'

Sashlyk, You still haven’t given me enough information for me to help you. In addition to what I’ve already asked, please tell me the year of your boat and what kind of 120v electrical service you already have. Also, what kind lifestyle are you going for? Do you want to be a minimalist like Larry and Lin Pardy or are you looking for a more comfortable “dockside” lifestyle?

Mold – this is a serious issue especially going into the winter at Emeryville. Before you move aboard, strip everything out of the boat, including cushions. Then nuke it! Scrub everything, everywhere, bilges too and all those places that no one ever sees. Once clean, go over it again with a bleach solution to kill the spares. If you have mold in the bilges, the spores will travel into your living spaces before spring. After you “nuked” the boat, dry air circulation, heat and sun light will help keep mold at bay. The big thing is get warm, dry air circulating in both ends of the boat. Don’t over pack things in the quarter berth. We use an oversized milk crate type container back there. We also use a low output style dehumidifier in our aft stateroom. Our hanging lockers are all cedar lined. If you suspect mold in your cushion foam – replace it. You can buy replacement foam at an upholstery shop.

Comfortable dockside living is dependent upon what type of electrical service on the boat – both 120v and 12v. Emeryville has mostly 30 Amp service at the dock. You need to tell us what you have on the boat. 30 Amps is not a lot. For example, we cannot run the heater, microwave, coffee pot all at the same time without throwing a (5 Amp) breaker.

I am in Alameda, not Emeryville. Although, we occasionally sail over there to go to Trader Vics.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 09-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook