SailNet Community - View Single Post - Optimal propulsion system
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Optimal propulsion system

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd740 View Post
There are a couple boats with this already available. The hunter e33 has this as an option and a cruiser did a conversion on his older boat.

Here is a link to their blog:
biankablog.blogspot.com/2008/05/going-electric.html
Neat link. It reinforces how complicated a diesel engine install it. I remember reading some thread and someone wrote off electric propulsion by saying it "wasn't suited for the marine environment"...as if a combustion engine with it's requisite, lubrication, cooling, starting, fuel , systems with their requisite secondary filters, cooling, charging, system are? I'd say moving parts arn't well suited for the marine environment and electric definitely has the advantage there. The only problem is the low amount of energy stored in batteries vs diesel fuel.

Quote:
It will be somewhat inefficient converting gen-set horsepower to electric instead of shaft power. I'm hoping that the built in inefficiency will be off-set somewhat by the fact that the the gen-set can be set to the most efficient rpm as opposed to a shaft driven motor where the rpm is used control the boat speed.
This was the line of thinking when the chevy volt was in development. Then at some point they snuck in a direct drive system because it just wasn't efficient enough. However the boat is clearly a different situation - many have generators anyway for example. So I'm interested to see how this thread goes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook