Thread: new 120% genoa
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012

sonosail is on a distinguished road
Re: new 120% genoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by john f View Post
I have two questions.
A. I met with a sailmaker yesterday to discuss the purchase of a new sail. he showed me samples of the newer non-woven sails materials. As an average sailor they looked much the same. yet there were two quotes, one for a GMX club racer ($2k) and another higher tech ($3k). The more expensive would last 20% longer. I inherited sails with the boat. I have noticed the composite sails have all aged quicker than the woven sails, and one certainly has developed a noticeable leech curl. OK, so the more expensive plastic sails are meant to hold their shape longer, BUT if this is at the cost of leach curls, isn't it simply better to get good quality dacron, and accept the inevitable "bagging" which would take a long time , and misuse , to develop.?

B. i have decided to go with a max 120% genoa. I usually sail and race short handed. .And the phrf modification allows me a little more latitude for mistakes !
BUT , and here is the rub, there must be a percent of overlap for my boat, around 120% (115%? 130%?) that would provide the maximum drive for the phrf buck. The sailmaker did not think this was important. I know this is a difficult question, but surely the wing shape of the foresail/mainsail combination can be optimised for a particular sailplan.
The boat is a lovely Abbott 33, which I am not sailing as well as she deserve to be handled!

Answers to either A or B will be carefully perused. Thank you.
Rated LPG makes a BIG difference in PHRF racing. (especially for boats of moderate disp.)
Every district has a different 'datum' for the standard rating.
Many start from 155% of LP.
So it would be something like the following: (rating based on LARGEST sail in your inventory)
155% no change std rating
145% (+3)
135% (+5)
125% (+7)
etc.......... (some other factors I've left out)
In a long skinny boat, like this one, with a small foretriangle to begin with, overlap means speed upwind.
You want to at least think this through before you send big money on a headsail.
(I'm not selling sails.).
Just something to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook