SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

V Berth Mattress

10K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I have an older 30 ft sailboat with the normal approximately 4" thick cushions in the V-berth.
I want to improve the comfort but do not want to replace the cushions because the fabric matches the decor of the boat. I want to improve the
sleeping comfort and was thinking about purchasing some type of foam pad to put on top of the cushions. If others have done this what thickness and type of foam did you use? Thanks Calmharbor.

#3 ·
no matter what you end up doing for matress/padding ... I would highly recommend investing in a Froli system for beneath ... works wonders and provides the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on ...

note: in no way connected with the company ... just been sleeping on one for over two years ...

Reactions: rikhall
#4 ·
I had 2" memory foam toppers and just went to 4". Made a huge difference. It feels,like a new mattress, not just a softer lousy mattress. Don't get anything less than 4". Easy to cut to size with a bread knife, although, an electric carving knife would be better. I got mine at overstock.com

#14 ·
+1

Overstock is way better than anything you will find at Wal-Mart, and in the end cheaper.

If your foam pads are shot, why not get one of the RV mattresses?

Memory Foam 5-pound Density 10-inch Full/ Double-size RV/ Truck Component Sleep System | Overstock.com

This way you could cut it out to shape and replace the foam in the cushions you have now. This gives you a couple of choices of foam thickness to match what was in there. You might even be able to use the remaining foam to replace the settee foam. That way when it was not made up you could not even tell, and you don't have to put away the topper.

One last thing, if you go to almost any goodwill they will have an electric knife for around $2. I think every married couple from the 50's to the 70's got one as a wedding gift and get donated quite often, normally never or infrequently used.

#5 ·
I can second the Froli system. Not an inexpensive option, but keeps the mattress dry underneath, and adds a nice feel when sleeping on it. When we switched our our original boat mattress with a 10" 'tempur' knock off (trimmed to size with an electric knife) the benefits of the froli are reduced, but does still keep the mattress dry underneath. I think the boat mattress with the Froli was more comfortable than the tempur. The topper sounds like a good idea too, but that would cover up your matching fabric.

#6 · (Edited)
I went with a 1 1/2" memory foam topper ( full size) ( wally mart) I keep a regular size fitted sheet on it and it rolls up into a duffel when not in use, along with the top sheet and a blanket. I found it to be pretty comfortable. I didn't feel the need to cut it to shape, the corners at the bow just turn up a little. A Full also fits my pull out berth in the salon nicely.

The 4 inch seemed a little too bulky, I don't sleep on the boat all that much. But man, that must be comfortable! I probably wouldn't want to get out of bed.

#7 ·
A regular sheet still fits over the 4" topper, since the boat mattress is thinner than a home mattress. Together, they are about the same thickness. If its a problem, you can get deep pocket fitted bottom sheets anywhere, including Target, Wallyworld, etc.

We sleep on the boat often. Approx 80 nights since April already, so having a comfortable mattress is important. We keep the bed made all the time.

#8 ·
I replaced the foam mattress on our last boat, with 2" of memory foam added to the top before re-covering. It was OK. On our current boat, I just ordered the "Tufted Topper" and it is great. Very comfortable and fits perfectly. They are easy to find on a web search or in sailing magazine ads.

This was also a much cheaper improvement as I kept the existing mattress.

No ties - just a happy customer.

#12 ·
We use a 6 inch latex mattress with the Froli system. We do like the Froli system.

We originally tried a 3 inch memory foam topper but found it way too hot to sleep on. I did see a company now makes a memory foam bed that stays cool, and if they come out with a topper that stays cool I make try it again, but we are happy with what we have.

#18 ·
Don't think that's memory foam, but you may not be looking for it either. For what its worth, I've heard many rave about a good topper of one kind or another. I can't recall anyone raving about any upgrade to the mattress itself, even after paying a lot of money. Someone may chime in an correct that here.

I spent $130 on the topper and LOVE it. Had a buddy across the marina that had a custom mattress made for thousands and hardly notices the difference. He will be adding the $130 topper.

#19 ·
You sink into memory foam and it seems to close off air circulation, leading to sweaty sticky sheets when I've tried it. For the boat, we went with the Froli setup. The pieces go together so that you can adjust the amount of "spring" to individual preferences, and the kit includes an assortment of different sized interlocking pieces that should be able to match just about any shape & size.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Memory foam seems to be a love-it or hate-it thing.

We had a tempurpedic mattress and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Very hot to sleep on and caused back problems for both my wife and I. Because you sink into it you tend to move less in your sleep and this can aggravate some kinds of back problems.

We went with four inch medium density foam and sleep aboard every weekend spring thru fall. It's comfortable but I'm going to price out the Froli system at annapolis this year to see if I can make it even better.

YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.