SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

Meh. I went to Centre Island beach this afternoon. The wind was honking near 30 knots from the S/SW. We swam on the LI Sound side beach. There were white caps on the Oyster Bay side and a few windsurfers were scorching back and forth on reaches, as they like to do.
The Sound side beach was extremely flat as was to be expected but I could see white caps forming on the surface about 1/2 mile from shore. The gusts, or Cat's Paws were amazing as they ripped the surface on their way towards Stamford, CT. I saw one sailboat that had it's sails up that was possibly making its way towards Norwalk. Another sailboat was motoring with no sails back into Cold Spring Harbor. As we left I noticed a tug and barge headed west nearly directly into the SW winds. Every now and then I could see a bit of white spray at the front of the barge 3 or more miles away. I know there were some waves out there but if the OP was hell bent on making his way east they could have easily made Port Jeff and maybe even Greenport.
When the front passed I was in my car on my way home. The front itself was not as impressive as the sustained winds before it came and only dumped a quick downpour that confounded the usually idiotic traffic.
Would I have taken my own boat out on the Sound today? Not likely, but I have been on the Sound on a 50' Bendytoe when there were sustained 35 knots and gusts to 50. The Sound is not so protected when the wind gets that strong.
If Peterchech(OP) wanted some higher wind experience he likely got it on LI Sound. Sailing on the Atlantic today would likely have been a nightmare.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook