SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

Thanks to both of you for your offers. Following is a little background (I will spare you most of the details.) Many years ago I sailed centerboard sloops on the Great Lakes (Lightnings, Flying Scots, and a few Thistles and Stars). I want to get back into sailing now and looked first at the boats I knew.

But, things are no longer the same. I will now sail along the coast of southern California where there are swells as well as waves. Since the children are all grown and gone, I seldom have crewmen handy. And, single-handed self-rescue in one of the above boats is next to impossible.

As much as I like small boats, apparently keel boats are the way to go for single-handed sailing off shore. I started looking for 18'-22' keel boats, but now I have been told that bigger is better, 30'-35' is best if I want to do any racing. (Day sailing is my first interest, but I do want to do some PHRF racing occasionally.)

So, the first question is what kind of boat should I really be looking for? The answer to that question will determine what kind of keel boat instruction, etc. I need before going solo in a big strange boat. Without a boat (or type of boat) in mind, it is hard to plan a course of action. (More questions to follow.)

Richard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook