SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hi Seas Heating Corporation / Diesel Heater
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012

konasail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to konasail
Re: Hi Seas Heating Corporation / Diesel Heater

Hello Hi Seas Heater owners-
We have two of them aboard Holy Grail, that we bought from the manufacturer before they folded. For a long time we did not use them as we were cruising in the tropics. We are now in Alaska and using them... or I should say it, as one is not working.

This reply is for two reasons, to provide help and to find spare parts,

I have the manual and will be happy to mail or email copies to anyone. The manual is full of tips but it is not complete. Specifically there is no drawing of the control valve - the guts of the unit - and no instructions for disassembly and cleaning.

Most units are installed with a demand fuel delivery pump, which is always separate from the heater. If your pump does not run all the time or ticks at intervals, you have a demand type pump. It pumps until a certain (low) pressure is reached, usually 3 5o 5 psi. These are the best pumps to use. When the heater uses fuel the pressure in the fuel line drops and the pumps ticks until the set pressure is reached. The heater may be run with no pump if a gravity tank is used.

If the heater does not work, in other words, no fuel is reaching the combustion chamber, and if it has not been used much, the usual cause is that the filter at the underside of the valve block is dirty. It is a sintered bronze cup which can be removed and cleaned with alcohol or acetone. The tricky part of reassembly is placing the ''O'' ring exactly right up into the unit. If cleaning the filter does not restore fuel flow, then the valve is likely plugged up. You will have to blaze your own trail with that as it's too complicated to describe and the manual is no help - just says to have ''factory authorized service.''

9/10/12 UPDATE! I just found drawings of the metering valve that I did not realize we had. If anyone is interested in a copy I can scan and email or copy and mail.

If anyone wants to discuss it further, I'm happy to try to help.

If anyone has a heater to sell, working or not, or any spare parts, I would like to buy them.

Howard, konasail

Last edited by konasail; 09-11-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Found more information.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook