SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best power tools?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Best power tools?

Iron-
"Do you know where B and D makes Dewalt tools? In China and Mexico. Likely in the same factories Ryobi comes out of."
So what? B&D at least last time I checked sold parts directly, and made repairs in depots. Ryobi did not. I needed a fifty cent switch to replace one that failed from a manufacturing flaw (bad plastic casting) in a Ryobi drill. Nope, non-standard part, can't be replaced by any switch from any catalog source, unique dimensions. Now, most of those switches ARE readily replaced by standard parts, not Ryobi.
Eventually Ryobi made an accomodation on a new drill, but with a B&D? It would have been faster and cheaper and less hassle to me to just order a switch, pay two bucks, and fix it.
And someone who wasn't willing to put up with the abuse, would have simply had to throw it out and buy a whole new one. I call that customer abuse and simply an intolerable way to do business. How would you like to buy a new car, and then be told a year later you can't replace the headlights, you need to buy a whole new car? What nonsense that is.
Oh, did you need to buy more diesel for you boat? Sorry, there's no fuel filler cap, that costs too much. Go buy a new boat.
You think I'm joking? Just keep endorsing the Ryobi philosophy, it has spread like wildfire because folks put up wih it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook