SailNet Community - View Single Post - marina etiquette question
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road
Re: marina etiquette question

Thank you all for the replies.
The consensus seems to be that pumpouts and other marina services, unlike table service at a restaurant, don't automatically require tipping. That works for me. I like the idea of tipping for especially good service--though I can't tell an exemplary pumpout from a mediocre one--and for service at a place where you intend to return. Tipping well but intermittently sounds effective. Intermittent reward reinforces behavior better than regular, predictable reward does, according to behavioral scientists.
I do think tipping has gotten out of hand in America. Tip jars next to cash registers irritate me. I don't feel like making up for an employer's failure to pay a decent wage. Assuming that 20% at a restaurant is now standard, rather than 15%, bugs me, too. 15% is still standard. The cost of a meal has gone up with inflation, and so has 15% of that.
So I intend to tip with discretion. When circumstances make me want to tip, I will. When tipping will ensure future advantage, I'll tip reluctantly. When I never plan to return to a place, I'll keep my money, maybe find one of those lap dance places. Just kidding.
Thanks again for your ideas.
John V.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook