SailNet Community - View Single Post - marina etiquette question
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 09-09-2012 Thread Starter
Re: marina etiquette question

Thank you all for the replies.
The consensus seems to be that pumpouts and other marina services, unlike table service at a restaurant, don't automatically require tipping. That works for me. I like the idea of tipping for especially good service--though I can't tell an exemplary pumpout from a mediocre one--and for service at a place where you intend to return. Tipping well but intermittently sounds effective. Intermittent reward reinforces behavior better than regular, predictable reward does, according to behavioral scientists.
I do think tipping has gotten out of hand in America. Tip jars next to cash registers irritate me. I don't feel like making up for an employer's failure to pay a decent wage. Assuming that 20% at a restaurant is now standard, rather than 15%, bugs me, too. 15% is still standard. The cost of a meal has gone up with inflation, and so has 15% of that.
So I intend to tip with discretion. When circumstances make me want to tip, I will. When tipping will ensure future advantage, I'll tip reluctantly. When I never plan to return to a place, I'll keep my money, maybe find one of those lap dance places. Just kidding.
Thanks again for your ideas.
John V.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome