SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

I singlehand sail ALOT in SoCal out of Newport Beach. I am in Schock Santana 30. Very easy boat to sail and I have been in some pretty rough stuff as well. These boats can be had in good shape in the 10-15k range. There is a Santana 30/30 thats a very fast boat and for racing its great...less comfortable than a Santana 30 but faster and can probably be singlehanded fairly easily. They are more expensive in the 20k range, but I have seen some that were well used for under 10. I personally wouldnt look at a boat under 27 feet and I'd prefer a 30. In my opinion a 35+ becomes a bit too much to handle, but it depends on how the boat is rigged...It can be done. I once asked here the biggest boat you can comfortably singlehand. That depends on the person. There are people here that single hand 50 footers...Thats probably beyond my comfort zone, but a 30 is my perfect size right now. Its big enough so I dont feel like its too small in rougher water, but small enough to dock and maneuver in the harbor singlehanded. So I would look at boats in the 30 foot range. J boats are nice especially if you want to race...J/29s and J/30s are out there...but not for under 20k maybe 30...Hope that points you in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook