SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

I've been sailing one of two Catalina 36s out of Marina del Rey for the past 26 years. If you want to learn to singlehand, I'll loan you my friends. I also actually singlehand often, mostly on weekdays when everyone is working. You will find that if there is any difficulty, it will be in docking/undocking. This is where a coastal fin keel boat like a Catalina excels. My boat handles like a really long car. Extremely predictable, relatively low windage and it stops on a dime (almost). I don't think I've touched the sides of my slip while docking in the last 20 years, even on windy days. Although I have a regular main, they can be had with a furling main which is really easy to handle. Just get yourself a reliable autopilot and you'll be set to go. The one thing I would mention about size, I moved up from a Catalina 30 (also a nice boat). The first thing I noticed was that when in choppy water, the 30 would bounce over it, but the 36 cuts through it providing a more stable platform. Aside from this, the 36 makes a great shoreside condo when you just want to hang out.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook