SailNet Community - View Single Post - New production boat interior finishing and repair prior to comissioning
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

turban10 is on a distinguished road
New production boat interior finishing and repair before commissioning

Okay, before I begin, I don't want to start another Benihuntalina flame war but I have a question rewarding the interior finishing on new productions boats.

I went to an in-water boat show in Chicago this past weekend. They had a number of production boats on display in the 35 - 45 foot ranges. These included Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteau, and Jeanneau. Since I have been reading these threads and know just how err, "passionate" people get about these production boats, I have been quite curious just how they were finished on the inside.

I did not see too much to dislike from the exterior assembly. However it becase quickly clear that on the inside, the joinery and finishing was better on some than others (as expected).

One thing that did disappoint me was the Jeanneau. While the Beneteau (its sister company) right next to it didn't have anything that struck me as particularly egregious, the way the interior sealant was applied to the headliner and bulkhead seams on the Jeanneau left a lot to be desired. It just looked bad, and not something that should be allowed past QA. While it may not create any safety issues, it just turns away potential customers.

So the questions from this newbie to the more knowledgeable on this forum are: Does the quality of finishing vary from boat to boat, or is this matter of a specific manufacturer's production methods?
And if it does vary from boat to boat, will boat manufacturers fix these issues for the owner prior to commissioning?
What have your experiences been with new boats and their manufacturers?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook