SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 25 Running Rigging Info
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Helms 25 Running Rigging Info

Great job. You got a lot done and have a good idea and plan on what is needed to go forward. On the centerboard, I guess you have a few options. I would take it out of the boat to do a proper job. Sand blasting down to shinny metal seems to be the choice of most. I'm told that you need to immediately wipe down with solvent and coat the metal with whatever you decide is best. Apparently, the steel will start to oxidize (rust) immediately, even if you can't see it happen. The previous owner of my boat used Interlux 2000 or 3000 epoxy barrier coat in the late 90's and seems to have held up well. There are now signs of rust in some spots underneath the epoxy that I have to address. At least that is what I assume is happening due to some dark spots appearing through the paint.
As we discussed before, David got his hot dipped galvanized. Sounds like the best solution if you have the facilities close by so you don't have to ship it.
I know there are other 72 and 73 owners on the board. I hope they chime in with more tag info for you.
Keep us informed on your progress. And pictures would be GREAT :-)
Wayne
1976 #552
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook