SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
My boss is stupid, thinks 3-1/2 days is to long for detailing a 30 foot Catalina, that is heavivy oxidized, rust stained, dirty, tarnished metal and a bunch of other details. Sorry but I take pride in my work, this is not some $50 wax/detail at some ghetto drive through car wash! His mentality is not that high, here's his typical detail job ( ones I don't do) let's wet sand *even if the gel coats very lightly oxized, still shiny, or extremely thin, ect.... He uses plain sheets 1500-2000 grit paper, with very rapid uneven pressure, leaving deep finger marks and swirls. Then he proceeds to compound it or even worse 3m 1 step it! Which dont even remove the sanding marks, then applys and removes the Collinite wax with a compounding pad at high speeds. So there's swirls from the wetsanding,compounding and waxing, but if it looks shiny it's ok and all he cares about. Even with his crappy selection of products I can easily out do him, with stuff I've learned online and such, I've stared out knowing nothing and took me a little while get the the full aspect of the whole process, I have never fully done it properly(bits and pieces but not the whole thing), but have a plan too with the proper products and technics.
Sounds like you'll be in a great position to compete with him when you're ready.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook