SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'll start here ......
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-10-2012 Thread Starter
davecason

I'll start here ......

Hi Folks,

Well I guess I'll start here ..... I'm currently researching boats and marina's for a live aboard semi retirement. About the only thing I can say about boating is I can spell the word with some help! (grin) I've started looking for boats around the 40' mark and I've found a couple.....

- I guess the first question is what is the process when you search for and find a boat you want to buy?

- I've found a boat I'm interested in but the broker seems to say that I can't have a copy of the survey that was done in 2011 - is that normal. Can I at least read it? What is the procedure with pre done surveys?

- If I want to get a survey done - how is this usually accomplished?

- I assume that buying the boat is pretty straight forward Ė give them the money and theyíre pretty happy.

- Iím guessing that the sale can be made conditional depending on the results of MY survey that I have done or other conditions etc.

Iíve found a Mainship 40 and the broker was pretty laissez fiare about me being there probably because he thought I was a tire kicker Ö.. is it appropriate to ask the company thatíd rather deal with someone else? He did say that the boat burns $50/hr in gas at 9.5 knots Ė god knows what that means? Any other MainShip folks out there that can fill in the blanks for me?

Itís a 1995 MainShip 40 Sedan with twin 454ís EFI 340 HP 8 Cyl with a V drive and they says itís got 310 Gal fuel capacity Ė it also says that cruse is 16 with a top speed of 26 and they say RPMís t cruse are 3200 Ė so in knowing that can anyone tell me what sort of range I could expect? I also assume that if I was cruising I can shut down one engine and cruise on one? Is that done?

Part of my idea is getting a sedan boat is since itís my first boat it might be a tad more appropriate and comfy as a live aboard plus I think itíll be a bit easier to learn seamanship on a boat like that rather than something like a sloop with full sails.

Anyway thatís where Iíve started and any and all comments or suggestions are welcome!

Cheersí
Dave
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome