Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
I'll start here ......
Well I guess I'll start here ..... I'm currently researching boats and marina's for a live aboard semi retirement. About the only thing I can say about boating is I can spell the word with some help! (grin) I've started looking for boats around the 40' mark and I've found a couple.....
- I guess the first question is what is the process when you search for and find a boat you want to buy?
- I've found a boat I'm interested in but the broker seems to say that I can't have a copy of the survey that was done in 2011 - is that normal. Can I at least read it? What is the procedure with pre done surveys?
- If I want to get a survey done - how is this usually accomplished?
- I assume that buying the boat is pretty straight forward Ė give them the money and theyíre pretty happy.
- Iím guessing that the sale can be made conditional depending on the results of MY survey that I have done or other conditions etc.
Iíve found a Mainship 40 and the broker was pretty laissez fiare about me being there probably because he thought I was a tire kicker Ö.. is it appropriate to ask the company thatíd rather deal with someone else? He did say that the boat burns $50/hr in gas at 9.5 knots Ė god knows what that means? Any other MainShip folks out there that can fill in the blanks for me?
Itís a 1995 MainShip 40 Sedan with twin 454ís EFI 340 HP 8 Cyl with a V drive and they says itís got 310 Gal fuel capacity Ė it also says that cruse is 16 with a top speed of 26 and they say RPMís t cruse are 3200 Ė so in knowing that can anyone tell me what sort of range I could expect? I also assume that if I was cruising I can shut down one engine and cruise on one? Is that done?
Part of my idea is getting a sedan boat is since itís my first boat it might be a tad more appropriate and comfy as a live aboard plus I think itíll be a bit easier to learn seamanship on a boat like that rather than something like a sloop with full sails.
Anyway thatís where Iíve started and any and all comments or suggestions are welcome!