SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'll start here ......
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: I'll start here ......

As was stated above, this is a sailboat forum. You may not get the expertise you would appreciate. Cruisersforum.com may help more on the trawler questions. That being said...

You only burn fuel when you are moving on a trawler. I am not against them. In fact, for many, I think they are the right choice. I have lost several offers on trawlers before my latest sailboat. My strong preference is Nordhavn 46 or 62. Second maybe Kady-krogen 42. THird is probably an albin 43 Sundeck. I am reasonably knowledgeable about these boats if you want to PM me.

As far as your other questions: The survey release depends on the broker. However, as you are looking for a boat, I sugest you get yourself a broker. What is your budget (max and comfortable)? Would help us to suggest sailing options for you. Remember that brokers are paid by the seller... not the buyer. Its like buying a house that way. A good broker is worth his weight in gold. A bad one... well, the fertilizer stuff. If sailboats are your interest (which they may not be), I have one whom I suggest that is very good. Others will have opinions too.

Never take a brokers opinion on burn rate. Research it yourself. They (mostly) all lie. No offense. Just remember burn rate is when you are moving. You will spend 1% going, 99% anchored or marina bound. THis is true even as a sailor. Consider that before swearing off trawlers. However, motor yachts (Sea Rays for example... I have many others) are notoriously uneconomical and piss poor live aboards and cruisers. I mean no disrespect, but I am surrounded by empty ones. On the positive side, they are in abundance right now for sale and cheap. My friend-broker told me they cannot give them away right now (and motor boat because of cost of operation and economy). He said sailboats are moving if they are in good condition. But sailboats are by far the most economical and the tighter of the two. THat being said, I find most sailboats (if not all) better liveaboards than the affordable motor yacht. This is not true of trawlers who foot:foot are much more comfortable, IMHO. All that comes with a price (not just money) though.

Hope I have helped some. Mainship does not have (imho) a world class reputation as a trawler. You will likely find better boats. However, if you are stuck in a price-point, they may be your better option.

Last point (from someone that would consider a trawler): If my budget was under say, $250,000, I would buy a good sailboat to cruise on. If my budget was over, I would consider a trawler. $200ish is probably my breaking point. Other feel differently, and that is ok. My personal ideal trawler budget is circa 500,000 (late model nordhavn 46). Less than that, I would be including sailboats. I can give you my list of comparable sailboats that I think balance the scales in comfort and cruiseability at or under that number.

These are my opinions. Others will differ. I have shopped certain trawlers heavily though. And FYI... I still came back to a sailboat. THere are certain intangibles to sailboats no trawler can ever fill, not even a Nordhavn.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook