SailNet Community - View Single Post - Optimal propulsion system
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Optimal propulsion system

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Me too. So you adjust your expectations, don't set a schedule that has you going near hull-speed all the time, and enjoy life at a slower pace. Easy-peasy, and doesn't cost a penny.
I agree in theory but in practice it does not work for me.
Very often here in Long Island sound it can be days before the 2 knot current, the wind, sunny weather and daylight and my days off all line up so all of the above are in our favor.
A simple 30 mile passage that can take only 5 hours can easily extend to over 10 hours.
So we are left with two choices; wait all summer for a perfect day and maybe use the boat a couple times or go, with auxiliary power, and have a pretty good day.

Actually is it a lot worse than the simple choice above would suggest. The wind is so flukey that on the perfect day the wind will often die and on the marginal day the wind will fill. In either case you are committed to the trip and it is just not fun to bake for 10 hours and miss a shore dinner and not safe to try to dock in the dark.

So for the 90 percent of the days when I might just need a little boost for 4,5 hours it would be cool to fake it with electric and pretend we were sailing.

At the same time if I have to make a 300 mile passage I want to be able to do that too and keep good time and not be limited by batteries.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook