SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shannon 28 versus Caliber 33
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

contrarian is on a distinguished road
Re: Shannon 28 versus Caliber 33

The analogy of the Lexus / Pickup was to illustrate the disparity of the boats. For the record if I had a choice between a 30k Lexus or a 30k pickup, I would choose the pickup because I am a pick-up truck kinda guy. The Lexus is Very Nice maybe even nicer than a Cadillac( whole different thread) but that thread would be a much closer comparison. O.K. for the sake of continuity lets assume that the Shannon is the Lexus, What does it represent? More Luxurious ride, Status, better build Quality, more pleasant to the eye etc. If youre going to be out on the road yeah its a great choice but what if you need to haul a bolder? Not such a great choice then. The point of this silly metaphor is that you have to look at more than stats on boats such as Motion Comfort ratio and the like. You have to decide what works for you regardless of what works for anyone else. For me the choice for the type of sailing that you have described is easy, I would choose the Caliber out of these two vessels because for me it would be the more practical for what you describe mainly because of the extra space that it would give in the cabin as well as the cockpit. It may be totally different for you. Aesthetics may be more important than function. Sea keeping ability over speed and so forth. The real bottom line is that the boat has to feel right to you. When a boat feels right there will be a sense that this boat works for me and you will know when it does, it just feels right. I would suggest looking at boats that are similar to the ones that you have mentioned to get a better feel for what you like and don't like before making any commitments. I would also suggest that you PM me once you get the boat if you need help with passages on the west coast of Florida especially from Sarasota North if you're inclined to venture that far from your chosen cruising ground.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook