SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let the fun begin
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Let the fun begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortrash View Post
Perfect example of why I think this project is going to take about three years. Water maker roller furlings genset and new sails will cost me more than 20 grand alone. Oh well cost of living my dream as far as I see it.
I think you are making a mistake with you plans, this is an old boat and will always be old. If you plan to spend the rest of your life polishing and preening all your hard work, turning an old boat into a masterpiece then that costs lots of money which it sounds like you don't have (its quite a big club.) It is an old boat clean it up paint what needs to be painted replace what needs to be replaced but keep it simple. The quote to paint my topsides was in the vicinity of $15k I ended up rolling on two coats of poly 2 pac that was 2 years ago and still looks good from 30 feet total cost $380. I have bumped docks, had the anchor bang the side and bum boats have bumped and scuffed when coming along side, and it does not matter one iota I can touch it up next haul out, but had I spent the 15k I would be one angry cruiser worrying about anyone coming within cooee of my paint job.
As for sails and furler that should be no more than 10K for good cruising sails and a Profurl. Water maker, first thing is do you need it, there are only a few places that water can be a problem and most of them are in the pacific. Why do you need a generator; solar, wind and a good alternator is all I and lots of other cruisers use. The trick to getting out there and doing it is minimization.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 09-11-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook