SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking with an outboard
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking with an outboard

Man, I feel the pain too.

I charter with a company that has cruising boats from 30' to 50' and they are great, with wheel steering, diesel engines, combined throttle and shift on the binnacle. easy, ergonomic, and well thought out, even if I still find backing into a slip to be a learning process.

They also have keel boats though: sweet, nimble, quick, and fun Colgate 26 with my much preferred tiller steering. The only problem is not only that it's not easy to coördinate the outboard and the tiller, but the outboard can't be locked in the centered position, so it either requires getting two people to work together, or *reverse the tiller so that you can have the tiller in one hand and the outboard control in the other*, which is tricky, and there are still some issues with running out of hands to change the outboard from forward to neutral to reverse (as needed).

So far the best solution I have found is to have two people working together and keeping the speed as low as the wind and current will allow when docking. so far so good, but really awkward.

Or rather, it's easy with experienced crew, and rather challenging with newer crew.

Last edited by groggy; 09-11-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook