SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best power tools?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
Re: Best power tools?

Hey Sailortrash
did we help you make up your mind

This is a story that goes back decades. Companies where here in the USA and Brand Loyalty meant US Jobs. But then jobs started going over seas an businesses started capitalizing on brand name recognition. They could build a cheaper product and sell it at the higher end price.
Toyota started getting imported to the US market and a cheap car gains a foothold and reputation to follow.
Honda and Nissan follows.
Now Hyundai.
All once considered cheap imported throwaway cars, but when people bought them they found that instead of getting 100 k out of a car they could get 300k. The American companies were forced to improve their lines or get pushed out of the market.

My FIL bought a 45 hp John Deere tractor a few years ago. He bought into the whole "nothing runs like a deere" line and paid good money for an "American Brand". The first year or two he used the dealer for everything and it was costing him. I told him the parts could be purchased cheaper so now we buy everything he needs online from Yanmar. I suspect in another 10 years that whole tractor will be blue. The parts are about 1/3 the cost of the ones that come painted green and yellow. Yanmar is a good tractor, but he paid a lot extra for the Green paint. John Deere doesn't actually make much except profits anymore.

How about Craftsman? Another well recognizable name with a long history in the USA. They are made by Techtronic Industries. The company who also make Milwaukee tools, Hoover Vacuums, Homelite power equipment, and Ryobi.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" isn't always true... sometimes you just get robbed.