SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking with an outboard
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Re: Docking with an outboard

I typically set the outboard to face straight forward and use the tiller for steerage. I also leave my OB in the up position as the cavitation plate is still under the water by 4 or 5 inches like this. DON'T rely on reverse to stop you from hiting the dock. I dock bow first and back out from my finger dock. When I cast off I take my port bow line and bring it back along the toe rail and tie it off at the aft end of the cabin to the toe rail. When I come back in I approach my dock pretty much straight in unless there is a strong wind when I will come in slightly upwind. I come in slowly and allow forward inertia to carry me in and wind to ease me into the dockside where I tie off the stern with a single hitch and jump off the boat and untie the bow line from the toe rail and walk forward,pulling the bow in if required, and tie off the bow. I actually prefer to dock without help as more often then not others will tighten the bow line to much and I have to untie it in order to bring the stern in to my liking.

c_witch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook