SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best power tools?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Best power tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
How much money are you willing to accidentally drop overboard?

The marine environment will take its own toll certainly too. I have DeWalts and have had good luck, I would hate to lose one, but it would be cheaper than losing a really high end one.
Not just overboard. Buying high end tools for hobby type purposes is simply a waste of money in most cases. The main thing you pay the high price for is durability - the ability to use it all day, every day. Few of us do that. I have worn out a DeWalt orbital sander but I sanded the bottom of a 43 footer for a month with it along with a lot of other use before it started to get noisy.

I paid $75 for it - I could have bought a Festool for several $hundred and I'm sure it would still be working fine but instead I bought a Makita for $49 on sale and it's still working fine.

There's no question that expensive tools are nicer and if you have a big budget, go for it but for the rest of us, moderate priced tools are more than adequate, as long as they are good enough to be accurate.

The best power tool I ever bought was a bottom of the line Rockwell 1/4" router. I bought it from a discount store 35 years ago, have built or restored 3 boats and a lot of other stuff with it and it's still going strong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook