SailNet Community - View Single Post - Limitation of Liability
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Limitation of Liability

Having volunteered to be a crew member on S/V--------
I understand that Sailing is a risky activity and understand the perils of an ocean voyage.
I am in good physical health without any impairment, which could impact my ability to
participate in such a voyage. By executing this waiver of liability I for myself, my heirs,
successors, assigns and legal representative, hereby waive any and all claims against S/V--------,
her owner, skipper and other crew and agree to hold each one of them separately and
collectively harmless from any and all loss, cost, claim, damage or expense including but not
limited to attorneys fees which I may incur or which may arise directly or indirectly as a result of
or out of my participation in this voyage. I have read the above terms and conditions and
am in full agreement.

In a delivery situation the Jones Act may come into play and can't be waived usually.
Consult your attorney.

These contracts are not foolproof. If you as owner/skipper do something stupid or an accident happens while you are drinking for example.States law modifies these agreements preventing someone from waiving all there rights...varies by state.
You will still need liability insurance.....perhaps ask your insurance agent for a form that the insurance company might prefer you to use. Providing a safety speech for example prior to leaving dock is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook