SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 Swing Keel wobble
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Swing Keel wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasplash2 View Post
How did you pull the keel off the boat?
All by myself! With the boat supported by jack stands. I picked up a $50 hydraulic floor jack with wheels. Put it on a sheet of plywood so it will roll. I held the weight off the pin while I removed the four bolts that hold the bronze blocks on either side that contains the pin. I laid some 4 x 4 wood on either side of the jack. Then I got well out of the way, and pulled the release on the jack. It came down and the keel fell over on the 4 x 4s. I slipped the jack under the balance point of the keel and rolled it out from under the boat. Then I move the jack slightly towards one end and raised the jack until the keel was as high as it would go. I backed my van under the raised end and lowered the keel onto the bumper. Moved the jack and raised the end on the ground, then supported it with some concrete blocks. Moved the jack right to hte balnace point and raised it higher, so I could back the van under it right up to the jack. I put a piece of pipe on the van floor as a roller and lowered the keel on to it. Then lifted the outboard end one more time, and carefully pushed the keel on the roller and the wheels of hte jack into the van. I lowered it onto a second pipe roller and pushed it all the way in so I could close the hatch. It came out the same way in reverse.

To put it back on I welded up a U frame that replaced the lifting plate on the jack. I positioned it under the boat standing on edge on some wood blocks. I put the U frame and jack under the keel and attached the keel cable. I pulled up the bottom end with the keel winch, and jacked the front end up to put the pin and blocks in. Again I did all the work by myself.

The $50 jack has saved me tons of time and money. I jacked up the trailer and the boat, then blocked up the boat at one end. Jacked up the hitch end and put a wooden beam across concrete blocks and rolled the trailer out from under the boat. I moved the keel around my shed sitting on the jack. I moved my car sideways in the garage for more room to work. A really useful tool!

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook