SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need diesel for Alberg 30
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Need diesel for Alberg 30

First of all, congrats on getting your old A4 running. They are hard to kill. Mine is from 1967 and still ticking along. The A4 was the first widely used Universal engine in boats back in the day. There are still quite a few of them running and in operation.

Actually, if you research it fine enough you may find that most Universal and I think Yanmar diesels are made with Kubota blocks but 'marinized' parts which are all re-branded.
I helped a friend find 3 new glow plugs for his 5434 Universal engine lately. The place that sold 'Universal' glow plugs wanted $80+ per glow plug. I did some cross referencing and found the same plugs for $8+ per plug from a Kubota dealer. Total savings: $205; total markup by Torreson: 100%.
I forget which Kubota engines are 'drop in' replacements for the A4 but they do make them at Beta Marine: Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 09-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook