SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free or low cost GPS navigation software?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Free or low cost GPS navigation software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Two weeks ago I penciled in an uncharted rock in a narrow but beautiful and popular anchorage. "

All mariners are actually invited to send in that kind of information to DHA or G(S)IA or whatever the folks making the charts are calling themselves these days.
I didn't know that, thank you.

I've been kicking myself ever since for not bringing a handheld GPS with me and getting the exact position of the rock. For most, it would not be a problem, too close to the cliff it fell from. Everyone motors up the center of the opening. I prefer to sail onto my anchor or mooring when possible. Due to light airs, contrary current, and an anchored 40 something foot catamaran that seemed 30 something feet wide, I ended up tacking back and forth right to the cliff to try to get through the boats already present. Each time I got to where I could make it, the same back and forth motor boat cut me off. I finally decided to motor in (hate that) but wanted to know just how far I could push the limits of tacking room.

Last edited by skygazer; 09-13-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook