SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing diesel engine on the dry
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: repairing diesel engine on the dry

I've done this a thousand times with outboards, as The hose water just spills around the "muffs". Some even have hose fittings.

However, I dislike running the diesel on the hard, particularly if you're up on stands. The vibration worries me for starters. If you pressurize a hose into some diesel raw water cooling intakes, you very well may flood the cylinders. Trying to draw from a bucket is a good solution, but you need a space where bucket overflow and exhaust discharge can freely spill to the ground. Oily, diesel exhaust can be messy, albeit you are also pumping it into the water during the season. Finally, if you're drawing from a bucket, it most likely needs to be very close to the level of the hull intake. Your pump may not have he lift to get it up from the ground.

I do winter work, close all seacocks, and test after launch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook