SailNet Community - View Single Post - Noobie
Thread: Noobie
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

gnusailor is on a distinguished road
Noobie

Hi... After 60+ years, I have caught the sailing bug and need some advice. Since I live in the desert with a few small lakes close by, I figgered I'd start small and get some experience. The first problem is that there are few people to take classes from... between a lack of time and travel of 150 miles or so to get any training at all... well it makes it hard.

Here is what I have thought about: First, which I have already done, is to get an ASA basic sailing course book, read and learn as much as I can. Knowing that I wouldnt want a brain surgeon or pilot that had only read about their skills, I then would need to get some experience... sooo... Second, I would find an inexpensive (say... cheap...) sailboat somewhere in the totally open 15' range or maybe an old 20-26 footer with a day-cabin and then set out to learn (test) my book-learned info.

I want to keep this under $5k. I have seen some 14-16' daysailers in the $1500 - $2000 range. I am not too concerned other than being sea-worthy if there are many defects... as long as it doesnt cost me my life or a mint. I will only be sailing on small lakes during the day.

If this all works out and I am alive in say... one or two years, I would progress to taking a sailing course on the west coast, and then move to a bigger boat..etc ....etc...etc...

Someone, please help!! Do I need to be committed before I hurt myself?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook