SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fridge Build and Install...
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fridge Build and Install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratzcpa View Post
Just wondering what the cost for condensor unit was. Do you recall approximately how costly that was? Did you buy it new?
I'm not sure I can post a link to it here and not violate forum rules, but we bought the compressor/condenser and the evaporator (freezer compartment) from Defender.

The compressor/condenser is a Coolmatic 84. It is based on the Danfoss BD35F compressor and is rated for boxes up to 8.8 cu. ft. and our box is about half of that so it doesn't work hard. There is also a 50 series based also on the Danfoss BD35F compressor but not quite as efficient and we would of had that one maxed out. The price was less than $700.

You also need an evaporator to go in the box and that can be a flat plate design if you don't want a freezer compartment. They start about $175 and you need to size this stuff for the size of the box. We wanted a small freezer section mainly to ...

....keep some meat for a few weeks at a time and went with the Waeco VD-09 evaporator that is also a freezer. It is priced about $220.

The only negative is that the box is so well insulated that we have to keep the thermostat (comes with the above items) down to the point that the freezer is at 22 degrees so that the items in the other part of the box don't start freezing. The rest of the box stays between 34 and 40 depending on how far it is from the freezer section. 22 keeps meat froze and water froze, but ice cream will get soft. We really don't have enough room to keep ice cream anyway. I might install one of the small fans that will run a month on one small battery and that should circulate air and allow us to get the freezer section a little colder, but then again just one more thing and it is all working great for our needs just the way it is now.

I worried about hooking this all up, but it is really easy once the components are mounted. You just....

...attach the coolant lines from the evaporator in the box to the compressor and run 12 volts to the compressor and you are done. The thermostat....

...attaches in the box and has wires that also run down to the compressor and ...

...plug into it on the left side above.

Hope that helps,

Sum

------------------------------

Our 26 MacGregor and Our 37 Endeavour and Our Trips
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook